The twins were always so quiet...
So the internet just gave my tumblr name a whole new (literal) meaning. I was alerted to a photo of me gathering massive attention via a friend who linked me to a Reddit post titled “Don’t worry guys, I’m taking hipster to the next level.”
Apparently some guy on the train uploaded this photo to twitter it has been spreading like wildfire since. Surprisingly when I read the thread on Reddit a lot of it was positive/supportive. I’m surprised by how unfazed and genuinely funny I find the negative comments. People’s theories as to why I am dressed like this, and who I really am are also really interesting.
I’m dressed like this for a number reasons. Firstly, and fore-mostly, I genuinely like the clothes I am wearing. I’ve described my look as “anywhere from hipster chic to kawaii gangsta Harajuku princess”. This is the epitome of the latter. I love sailor moon, I love pink, those converse are kawaii as fuck and yeah fuck you I’m wearing Prada sunglasses. I don’t really dress like this all the time, but I wish I did more often. I mostly don’t because I want to keep the look fresh. I wore this outfit because I had an art exhibition at my college and wanted to express myself.
I also find men’s fashion extremely limiting in both types of clothes, cuts of clothes and colours. Women have so many beautiful options. So I pillage their aisles a lot because I wanna look pretty.
This was also a statement. As an artist I think fashion is incredibly important. This day, I wanted something that not only reflected my personality and artistic sensibilities but also have some social commentary. A lot of my work, or what I want my work to speak about, is sex and sexuality and notions of gender and gender roles. How many of you knew pink actually use to be associated with boys, not girls? Personally I think the idea of “This is a boy colour”, “This is a girl colour” or “Barbies are for girls”, “Power Rangers are for boys” is dumb as fuck. Creating social and cultural boundaries does nothing but limit the potential of a person. By dressing like this I am breaking that boundary for myself and attempting to reflect that sentiment.
Keeps getting better. Rock on, man.
Making this list to link to people when they ask me about him
- Misgendered Chelsea Manning. He was aware of her gender, aware of her situation, yet still chose to disregard her pronouns and her identity [x]
- Has been incredibly ableistic with her performance in Frankenstein. Used ‘autistic’ movements to play a creature which is a rapist and a murderer. Called Frankenstiens creature a manchild and a man infant, and then thought it was appropriate to use autistic children as inspiration to play the creature. (Also autistic children are not there to be your inspiration, do not exploit them for your roles) [x]
- Is often Classist, in particular about the London Riots. Seems to think because he’s an Ambassador, he understands these peoples plights, but is clever enough to think it was wrong. Also comments that he would like to make the rioters “lame”, because if being black, poor and underprivileged wasn’t enough, they should also be rendered disabled so they can be “dependent on other people’s mercy” [x]
- Complains often about how he is typecast and has trouble getting work, as a posh, white english male. Doesn’t seem to occur to him the struggles that poc people, trans people, lgbt+ people in general have getting a foot in the door of film and television. Talking about how your privilege is a burden is highly offensive to those who don’t have those amazing privileges you have.[x]
- Talked about how honourable Edwardian and Victorian societies were, because everybody had a place, and there was a ‘duty of care from the top down’. Doesn’t seem to understand how the service industry, slavery and classism and racism were the backbone of these ‘honourable’ eras. [x]
I think he is a talented actor, I like Sherlock, and I like other things he’s done. And he’s not a 100% bad person. I’ve met him, I’ve sat down and had a conversation with him. But he can be such a shitty person. I’m not saying people should hate him, I just want people to stop treating him like a god who has done nothing wrong ever.
I explained this in a post a few minutes ago